The Student News Site of Veterans Memorial High School

The Patriot Voice

The Patriot Voice

The Patriot Voice

Cloudy with a chance of nothing
Krystal Dang, Staff Writer • April 22, 2024
Patriots parade for Fiesta
Makayla Garcia, Staff writer • April 22, 2024

New Year, New Schedule

Students will receive their new semester classes.

On Jan 8, VMHS welcomed 2024 and brought in their spring semester courses. Scholars received a copy of their new schedule on the first day of the new semester. Students get five new classes. Any year-long classes such as athletics, sports or other organizations did not change.
Most of the schedule will consist of core classes. To be on track for graduation, students must have four English, four science, four social studies and four mathematics credits and a specific number of electives-based courses on students’ specific graduation plans. If there are any elective classes they would like to change, students fill out a schedule change request form and submit it to their assigned counselor.
Once they have submitted the form, the counselor will call them to discuss their request. It may take some time as counselors have multiple students to tend to.
If a student has most of their credits, including required elective credits, Once they become a senior. In that case, they can request an off period or become an aid for the attendance office, library, or even the front office. There are some requirements they will need to meet and an application to fill out. Depending on what aide position a student applied for, the person in charge will review the application and let the student know if they got accepted.
With young scholars adapting to their new schedules, the hallways will be flooded with students looking for their classes and finding new teachers. Every new schedule will have the room number for the classes; look for the letter of the hallway, and students will have better luck finding their classrooms.
As stressful as the new semester may be, take it easy, ask for help if needed and students will get used to their new routine quickly. Before they know it, classes will be over and the school year will end.