The Student News Site of Veterans Memorial High School

The Patriot Voice

The Patriot Voice

The Patriot Voice

Cloudy with a chance of nothing
Krystal Dang, Staff Writer • April 22, 2024
Patriots parade for Fiesta
Makayla Garcia, Staff writer • April 22, 2024

New Year, New me

Patriots share their 2024 new years resolution’s

Students of VHMS have made their New Year resolutions and new goals for the year. Teens are disposing of old habits and creating better ones, such as setting a goal to get better grades, being tidy or developing a new skill, to name a few.
Senior Serenity Carter said her resolution is to pass AP classes and get a three on the exam.
“I want to be more dedicated to work and put more time aside for studying,” Carter said. “But I also have the motivation to go to the gym and quit the habit of procrastination.”
Along with creating new goals comes sticking to them.
Senior David Simon added on to his upcoming goals as well.
“My New Year’s resolution is to focus on important tasks and stay in shape,” Simon stated. “To make my resolutions stick by focusing in my classes, lifting weights and doing small workouts to stay fit.”
Accompanying the New Year with a new regimen, we head over to… `
Mrs. Ryherd, an Attendance clerk, explained, “My goal and resolution is to develop a fitness regimen and it requires establishing a routine and developing a plan that I can stick with.” she also stated, “I believe with the right inspiration, I can achieve these goals” in addition she said, “The bad habits I want to get rid of is being an idol and losing sight of my end goal.”
Most people make new goals for the new year to better themselves as a being. It helps to evolve, change perspective on life, and focus on what matters. Reaching and finding a goal, such as something minor, is also stimulating to the mind as if it were therapeutic. According to samhsa.gov, These resolutions can fill us with excitement in anticipation of the possibilities of achieving goals or weigh us down with dread and apprehension of not living up to our expectations.
Resolutions can fail for a myriad of reasons. People often start with the best intentions but realize later that their expectations are unattainable. Sometimes, people’s goals take too long to achieve. People take on changes they perceive as necessary because others are doing something similar, but in the end, it is not realistic for other people, as claimed by samhsa.gov.
Being realistic and spontaneous can achieve a goal outside someone’s comfort zone. To keep people on track with their main goal is to have a strong mindset and build a healthy character. It’s OK to take time to let go of past experiences from old behavior. It’s OK to grow and develop into something more significant.