The Student News Site of Veterans Memorial High School

The Patriot Voice

The Patriot Voice

The Patriot Voice

Cloudy with a chance of nothing
Krystal Dang, Staff Writer • April 22, 2024
Patriots parade for Fiesta
Makayla Garcia, Staff writer • April 22, 2024

Struggling Season

Baseball holds on to the rocky road

The spring 2024 season hasn’t been the best for the Patriots Boys Baseball team. There have been many triumphs and injuries, but the boys are still keeping their heads up and trying to finish the season as best as they can. The boys currently have five wins and 16 losses, with three games left to play.

Senior player Nathan Fuentes said the season isn’t going as planned. “This season didn’t go how we pictured it to go, but we have to find a way to change and keep fighting no matter the outcome,” Fuentes explained.

Senior Sonny Kretzer said the injuries and the youth of the team were the main factors in this season’s outcome. “Injuries hit us pretty hard, and our season and team hasn’t been the same since. On top of that, we have a young team that has little experience with adversity, and that has been our downfall,” Kretzer said. Players such as Joseph Ulrich, Nikolas Gomez, and Vijay Mata all missed some time due to injuries, and this is one of the main factors that led to the team’s negative record this season.

The Patriots had a rough season but kept their heads up no matter how hard times were. This shows exactly how much pride these boys have when it comes to one another. There are three games left in the season, so the team still has a chance to add some more wins to its record.