The Student News Site of Veterans Memorial High School

The Patriot Voice

The Patriot Voice

The Patriot Voice

MATH = MANIA

New strategies for mastering math

The math STAAR is quickly approaching and it will be like no other with new methods of teaching this year. For instance, the new “CER.” The CER method stands for claim, evidence, and reasoning and is used to improve students’ critical thinking skills, even mathematics. 

“We did our own style of CER to break it down, so kids in math class can explain what they’re thinking.” said math teacher Marcie Stowell. “That way, students will be able to solve questions without the teacher having to answer them for them.”

Michelle Thompson, math department chair, added, “This will help students not only claim their answer but also be able to justify it.”

Although it benefits students, Stowell believes it might not be the right move for the STAAR. “I believe CER helps students achieve critical thinking skills, but do I think we should be testing that way? Not so much,” Stowell said.

The method has been pushed across curriculums due to students’ reading and writing comprehension struggles. Students also tend to use online sources like Google, Photomath, and other sources of outside information to get their answers. This leaves them with no knowledge to solve it themselves. Adding CER benefits students in getting away from relying on external sources.

It is unknown how it will play out for this year’s Math STAAR, but both Stowell and Thompson have proved that preparations and their own styles of CER will ready math students to have their best shot at this year’s STARR.