The Student News Site of Veterans Memorial High School

The Patriot Voice

The Patriot Voice

The Patriot Voice

Cloudy with a chance of nothing
Krystal Dang, Staff Writer • April 22, 2024
Patriots parade for Fiesta
Makayla Garcia, Staff writer • April 22, 2024

CFA helps

At VMHS, we have an organization called the Chick-fil-A Academy, started by Dawn Keane-Dawes, an Economics teacher, in 2017 when the school opened. Shortly after, it gained sponsor Pamela Thompson, VMHS librarian and JISD lead librarian.

“The purpose of CFA academy is to teach students how to be leaders within their community,” said Thompson.

CFA has had some pretty significant achievements, but its biggest one so far is the Care Closet, which was created for its “Big Impact Project” two years ago. The purpose of the Care Closet is to help any kids who may be in need of food, clothes, supplies or just any life essentials. The leaders of CFA Academy would never want anyone to go without something they need, and they have helped many students.

Thompson said she looks forward to seeing the future of all the students in the organization as they grow, become leaders, and take ownership of their actions and the things they’ve done.

For anyone who is interested, all you have to do is fill out an application. There are 30 new students accepted each year. See Keane-Dawes or Thompson for details and an application.