The Student News Site of Veterans Memorial High School

The Patriot Voice

The Patriot Voice

The Patriot Voice

Cloudy with a chance of nothing
Krystal Dang, Staff Writer • April 22, 2024
Patriots parade for Fiesta
Makayla Garcia, Staff writer • April 22, 2024

Blinded by the Light

Patriots view rare annual solar eclipse.
SJ Constantino
Beginning, middle and end of the annual solar eclipse, with the ring of fire.

It was a chilly morning with scattered clouds on Saturday, Oct. 14, in the VMHS student parking lot. The science department hosted a solar eclipse viewing party. They were even selling solar eclipse glasses.

The Patriot fans came and viewed the solar eclipse when the science department hosted a solar eclipse watch party from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the student parking lot Oct 14 (Janah Green)

“I was excited to view the eclipse, an Annular Solar eclipse. This was my first time observing such an eclipse.  I was very impressed with how it turned out,” Sarah Waters, science teacher and department chair, said. ”The Science Department hosted a viewing party Saturday in the student parking lot, and we had a great turnout! We also sold nachos; the student council sold themed snacks and drinks. I was very pleased with the outcome of the viewing party and happy with the money we raised to help the Science department purchase lab supplies and equipment. I am excited about the Total Solar Eclipse I can view on April 8, 2024.”

The eclipse was such a cool experience to watch; I had never seen something like that before. It was a really beautiful thing to watch. I didn’t know that when an eclipse happens, it can make little shadows in the trees that have little eclipse showing in them.