The Student News Site of Veterans Memorial High School

The Patriot Voice

The Patriot Voice

The Patriot Voice

Cloudy with a chance of nothing
Krystal Dang, Staff Writer • April 22, 2024
Patriots parade for Fiesta
Makayla Garcia, Staff writer • April 22, 2024

Cloudy with a chance of nothing

VMHS experience the solar eclipse

VMHS was on the edge of totality on April 8, 2024. Unfortunately, the skies were extremely cloudy, causing minimal sun exposure. Depending on your third-period schedule, you were allowed to go outside and experience the eclipse. Buc-ee’s, a convenience store, donated solar glasses to Judson ISD. 

A solar eclipse occurs when the moon passes between the Earth and the sun, blocking our view of the sun as it passes. The solar eclipse of April 8, 2024, was a total eclipse. A total eclipse occurs when the moon completely blocks the light of the sun. These events are rare and can only be viewed in specific areas for short periods of time. The totality lasted approximately one minute, but the entire eclipse lasted from 12:15 to 2 p.m. 

“I wish it could’ve been better; it sucks that the clouds took over the whole show,“ sophomore Honey Avendano said. 

This was a scientific opportunity to view a natural phenomenon that occurs once in a lifetime. 

“I was very disappointed by the clouds completely blocking our view of totality, but it was great to see how dark it got!” Sarah Waters, science teacher, said. 

If you missed this opportunity, according to NASA.gov, you’ll catch the next one in approximately 20 years in Alaska.