The Student News Site of Veterans Memorial High School

The Patriot Voice

The Patriot Voice

The Patriot Voice

Musicians at VMHS ready to take on the world

With all the wide variety of bands and styles music has to offer, VMHS student musicians are looking to take it to the next level and contribute to the music community.

Death metal band Halfdead presenting members Brandon Doucette, J.D. Bennett, Ameer Qassas, Ryan De la Cruz, and Preston Daniels. (Mathew Medina)

Death Metal band “Halfdead,” including members Senior Brandon Doucette (lead screamer), Senior J.D. Bennett (lead guitarist), Senior Ameer Qassas (bass), Junior Ryan De la Cruz (rhythm guitarist), and Junior Preston Daniels (drums), are ready to take on the world. With a musical style influenced by many bands, with the main contributor being the 80s groove-metal band “Pantera.” The band works close and connected, focusing on covering songs along with working on a few of their own. With each band member having their own story in their musical career, they all share the common goal of working towards performing on stage with their best friends.”It feels great being in this band with my best friends,” junior (drummer) Preston Daniels said, showing the close connection between the band. The band will begin performing in 2024 and will perform here at Veterans Memorial at the end of the 2024 school year, with details to come soon.

Hair metal band invictüs presenting members Wyatt Colett, Kayden Rost, and Nicholas Gaytan. (Albert Feliciano Otero)

On the opposite side of metal, the hair metal band Invictüs aims to be the best of the best. Their musical style and inspiration revolve around bands with a glammy party-like sound, like the sounds of Motley Crüe, Dokken, Cinderella, Ratt and KISS, going back to the 1980s. The young band includes junior Wyatt Collett (lead vocals and guitar), sophomore Kayden Rost (bass), and sophomore Nicholas Gaytan (drums), who are seeking to become some of the greats. Despite the band’s recent union, they enjoy playing alongside one another, bringing about the band’s optimistic and productive attitude when rehearsing. Lead vocalist and guitarist Wyatt Collett made known his ultimate goal for the band: to perform at the world-famous Whiskey a Go-go, the historic nightclub on The Sunset Strip in West Hollywood, California. The venue has hosted many famous bands, such as Van Halen, Poison, Motley Crüe, and countless others. The band will begin performing in 2024 and keep the Hair Metal era ongoing.

Junior Sean Hatzel also known as, Zysterious amidst his musical journey.

With both bands having similarities, these metal groups are just some who want to succeed. Junior Sean Hatsel, known as Zysterious, wants to make big things happen in the rap community. Inspired by rapper Rod Wave, he wants to create music that speaks out to people similarly. “He makes music that I can sympathize with, and that helps me do what I want,” says Sean. The young rapper is working towards releasing many songs on Soundcloud, with his favorite project being “Can’t Thank Us.” Although he works from his phone, he does not let any obstacle hold him back from putting energy into his songs.