The Student News Site of Veterans Memorial High School

The Patriot Voice

The Patriot Voice

The Patriot Voice

Cloudy with a chance of nothing
Krystal Dang, Staff Writer • April 22, 2024
Patriots parade for Fiesta
Makayla Garcia, Staff writer • April 22, 2024

Show and sell

JISD 8th graders invited to VMHS showcase
On Wednesday, January 24th, 2024 Veterans Memorial High School will host a showcase for freshmen.

On Wednesday, January 24th, Veterans will host a “High School Showcase,” which parents and their kids can attend to learn what to programs are available at Patriot Nation.
Eighth-grade students are entering their new reality in high school and exploring the different opportunities and new experiences that come with it.
VMHS offers many organizations such as JROTC, Cosmetology, STUCO, Cyber Security, Digital Media classes, Diverse clubs and Fine Arts programs just a few.
JROTC welcomes incoming freshmen as recruits to their program with an opportunity for everyone. It opens a career path that allows students to choose between joining the workforce or advancing their education for a desired path after graduating. It also causes character development with activities such as academics, athletics and competitions. JROTC is a place for every student to feel included. It’s where students can grow regardless of their character or experience. Progression as a person is also a massive thing in high school and different organizations can help with that.
Command Sgt. Maj. (Ret) Gabriel Camacho stated, “It’s going to be for everyone to try out and honestly, push to make themselves better versions of themselves.” He also explained, “If you come here as an introvert, that is alright. JROTC pushes past boundaries and gets people out of their comfort zone as well as teaches social skills.”
For another career path, Patriot Nation provides a four-year program in cosmetology. The different branches the student can pursue include personal service workers, barbers, hairdressers, hair stylists, nail technicians, shampooers, skincare specialists or general cosmetologists. For freshmen, their first year of Cosmo consists of the basics, from hairstyling to shampooing and manicuring. As the years go on, students immerse themselves in experiential learning. The scholars must pass a state exam to obtain their license at the end of the four-year plan.
For students interested in pursuing fine arts, there are several possible routes. They can choose from Band, Jazz Band, Orchestra, Choir, Theater, Mariachi, Art classes of all varieties, Pep Squad (for first-year students), Dance and Color Guard.
Not only are there academically focused clubs, but there are differing inclusive clubs. For example, there is the Pride Union, BBQ Club, Art Club, Drama Club and Chess Club—just a few of what VMHS provides.
On Wednesday, January 24th, Veterans will host a “High School Showcase,” which parents and their kids can attend to learn what to prepare for.
Different organizations and clubs will be there at tables to showcase what their program is all about.
“For cosmetology, we will have a table with examples of student’s work. It can be a mannequin, different hairstyles or mannequin hands.” Ellen Bradley, the cosmetology instructor, stated, “We will have students there who will talk to interested students about the program, and they will hand out flyers that tell about the program and requirements.”
The counselors will also be there to aid any concerned parents or incoming students with overflowing questions.
“We are usually just there to answer questions; for parents who have never had a high schooler before, they have a lot of questions,” Angela Allan, Counselor, stated, “We try to provide a choice sheet so that they can see what courses are available.”
Students and staff are excited to spotlight what Veterans Memorial has to display to incoming freshmen and guide them to success with their programs.