The Student News Site of Veterans Memorial High School

The Patriot Voice

The Patriot Voice

The Patriot Voice

Illustration By Albert Feliciano Otero
Keep Calm and Learn On!
Matthew Medina, Staff Writer • May 10, 2024

Skills for the USA

Skills for the USA
Courtsey of skillsusa.org

VMHS Students, Are you searching for an exceptional school organization that guarantees an exciting experience, fosters strong team bonds, and profoundly impacts your educational journey? Look no further than SkillsUSA! This dynamic and purpose-driven organization is tailor-made for students who aspire to kick-start their careers in fields shaping the future workforce our nation relies on, ensuring that graduates are job-ready from day one.

SkillsUSA, with its presence felt in over 400,000 careers across various programs, stands as a powerful advocate. Its influence extends to middle schools, high schools, and college and postsecondary institutions nationwide. Through the SkillsUSA Framework, students at SkillsUSA hone their practical skills against current industry standards in more than 140 occupational areas, from 3-D Animation to Welding and nearly everything in between. Simultaneously, they develop transformative career-readiness skills such as teamwork, communication, professionalism, leadership, and more, which are vital to fueling career and life success.

VMHS is a part of this inspiring community and provides exciting opportunities in four critical areas: Graphic Design and Communication led by Kelle Muse; Computer Science and programming directed by Michael Barkley; Cyber Security and Cyber Patriots supervised by Joshua Bailey; and cosmetology run by Patricia Alejandro.

VMHS Cyber Patriots meet to discuss plans moving forward in the program during an early October meeting.
Kelle Muse discusses upcoming program information with SkillsUSA members during the biweekly meeting. (Albert Feliciano Otero)

These fields are at the forefront of innovation and are integral to the 21st-century job market. SkillsUSA serves as your passport to explore, master, and excel in these domains, assisting you in preparing for the future in a way that is both educational and incredibly enjoyable! We had the privilege of interviewing the 2023-2024 presidents and officers in Graphic Design and Cyber Patriots. Richard Lujan, the president of Cyber Patriots, and Demetra Kizas, the president of Graphic Design, shared their enthusiasm for working with their team members.

“It has been a great learning experience for me and also my team members,” said Demetra.

The 2023-24 Graphic Design and Cyber Patriots officers shared thoughts on the SkillsUSA programs.     

“I love being a part of this organization; it has taught me a lot,” shared David Maldonado, a first-year reporter for Graphic Design.

Similarly, David Simon, a parliamentarian for Cyber Patriots, expressed, “It is my first year being a Parliamentarian, but it’s still fun and a great learning experience.”

SkillsUSA students acquire essential skills and create lasting memories and valuable connections. It’s more than just an organization; it’s a pathway to a brighter future.

If you’re interested in SkillsUSA and the programs mentioned, ask Rodney Neal, Career and Technology department chair,  or any of the teachers previously mentioned how you can be part of this impactful organization here at VMHS and embark on a personal and professional growth journey acquiring vital skills but also forge lifelong friendships and connections. SkillsUSA isn’t just an organization; it’s your gateway to a brighter future. To be part of this exciting journey!