The Student News Site of Veterans Memorial High School

The Patriot Voice

The Patriot Voice

The Patriot Voice

Cloudy with a chance of nothing
Krystal Dang, Staff Writer • April 22, 2024
Patriots parade for Fiesta
Makayla Garcia, Staff writer • April 22, 2024

Students benefit from AP program

Students continuously plan for their future while in high school, trying to choose the right path and figure out how to graduate with a good GPA. Veterans offers a variety of AP classes to all grades to boost a student’s GPA and possibly earn college credit.

“At the end of the class, you take an AP exam, and if you score a three or higher, most universities will accept that and award you college credit,” Angela Allen, lead counselor, explained.

AP classes advance a student’s mind and GPA. The grade someone gets is multiplied by 1.2. For example, a student could have a grade of 100 in a class, and when it’s calculated, it would be 120.

Some classes, like math and science, require a prerequisite. For example, a student must pass Algebra 2 to get into AP Calculus. Seven courses are required on a choice sheet. If a student chooses an AP class with a .5 next to it, it is half of the school year, and the selected class would be replaced with another one a student picked in the other half. Those courses include AP Government, AP Economics, and AP Psychology. 

AP classes are noticeably different from regular or honors classes because they are college courses with challenging work. They require a significant amount of time and space in a student’s schedule for study and preparation, but the outcome can be momentous. 

Even though the classes are more complex, it’s a chance to experience firsthand college schooling that others may not provide.

“For science, we do many more labs, which regulars and honors don’t exactly require. The AP courses require specific labs and more preparation,” Sarah Waters, Science Department Chair, explained.

When thinking about how to polish and improve a college application, AP courses are an excellent way to demonstrate a student’s ability to handle a higher level of learning. 

“AP courses make an application look good and show colleges you can handle a workload. The more you have, the better; it also shows that you are prepared,” Heather Morgan, college counselor, said.

Not only does AP help build skills for college, but it’s also a challenge for those who excel in regular classes and feel like they’re not challenged enough. It opens the door to meeting like-minded, goal-oriented students with similar interests. There are everyday challenges in life, and these classes help to work through those rigid moments by balancing real-world experiences.

The environment in an AP class is similar to one in college, with serious academics and people willing to educate themselves and study in depth. There are many classes to explore your interests, which may drive a student towards their passion or major. 

All in all, taking the courses is a great way to explore options while comprehending higher levels of education.